- Seeds from a buttercup squash. Or, any winter squash—just be aware that some seeds are woodier than others.
- Olive oil. The View From Great Island suggests a teaspoon of oil per half cup of seeds.
- Garlic powder and paprika. Or an herb/spice blend that sounds good to you. Old Bay would work well.
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.*
- Wash the seeds and let them dry.
- Toss them with the olive oil, salt and spices.
- Spread them on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Popping sounds and browning are good clues that they’re done.
*Interestingly, there seems to be some disagreement on the best oven temperature. Lesley had success at 350, and a number of food bloggers endorse this temperature so that’s what we’re going with. But The Spruce Eats suggests 275 degrees and The Kitchn calls for 300. Further experimentation may be in order!