A great way to use up overripe or very brown bananas. These cookies are perfect for breakfast.
Overripe bananas. Very speckled or brown. (Check out this post on overripe bananas for guidance)
Oats. I start with one cup of oats per banana or two. Err on the side of fewer oats and you can always add more.
Peanut butter or another nut butter. Not technically required, but I like to add at least two large spoonfuls.
Chocolate chips. Optional, but delicious!
Spices you like. Cinnamon? Nutmeg? Cardamom? Any other warm and cozy spice you haven’t used in a while? In they go!
Anything else you need to use up? The batch pictured here was made with some unwanted trail mix. You might also experiment with nuts, dried fruit, jam, salty snack crumbs, or other crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mash the bananas.
- Add spices, if using.
- Mix the bananas with the oats and nut butter.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or any other extras, if using
- Use your hands to shape into cookie-sized rounds. The cookies won’t flatten as they bake, so make them into your desired shape.
- Bake for 8 – 12 minutes, until they hold their shape and are just starting to brown on the bottoms.
- Store in the fridge, or freeze if you won’t finish them quickly. I like to keep a stash in the freezer and microwave them for 30 seconds before eating.
- If you skip the chocolate, but are looking for a more indulgent experience, top with Nutella.